We’ve had a Twitter account for a while now. After initially getting excited about it we didn’t use it much (according to TweetStats) until a few months ago. Now it seems that everyone is going mad for Twitter.
Use of Twitter is up almost 1000% and in the UK celebrities like Stephen Fry and Jonathan Ross are singing it’s praises. Just this morning, Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles started talking about it and almost instantly picked up almost 3000 followers (update: over 4400). That’s apparently worth $275 according to TweetValue.com!
Things that are interesting about Twitter and little tools which make it a lot easier to use.
Snappy title, eh?
First of all, how do you access Twitter?
On a PC or Mac you have a few options. In a web browser just visit http://twitter.com. Once you start using Twitter a bit more you may want to use a dedicated application. There are a couple of good ones we’ve used (both based on the Adobe Air platform, just think similar to Sun Java). We currently use Twhirl, a nice simple to use app with a nice interface. If you find yourself following a lot of people, try TweetDeck, the power users Twitter app!
Some fun Twitter tools
There are a few websites to enhance your Twittering. Some of our favourites are:
- TweetStats – Check out your tweeting stats
- TweetValue – How much is your Twitter profile worth?
- twitpic – Share your pictures on Twitter
- Shorten large web addresses (URLs) using Tweetburner or, our favourite tinyurl.com
- See who you should be following at Mr. Tweet
- Finally, add your tweets to your webpage, blog or facebook (Happy 5th Birthday!) profile.